Thursday, June 22, 2017

#Whole30ish "samosas"

In my efforts to stay healthy, we've cut a lot of grains from our diet...trying to keep sugar out too.

I made a samosa chaat inspired dish for dinner that turned out easy and delish!  Samosas are usually spiced potatoes and peas in a pastry and fried.  I need more protein than that and I definitely don't need deep fried foods :-P  So here's my take on that idea...peas, potatoes, ground beef, and warm, yummy spices.

Potatoes (for baking - I used organic from BJ's)
half a can of tomato paste
1 pound of grassfed beef (90/10 or 80/20 - or anywhere inbetween)
about 2 cups of organic frozen peas
1 small vidalia onion, diced/minced
various Indian spices: coriander, cumin, paprika, chili powder, ginger, black and/or green peppercorns, salt, vindaloo curry powder.

Heat your oven to 400 degrees and pop your rinsed potatoes into the oven.  Put your meat in the skillet and brown it.  Do not drain the grease.  Add the onion and spices.  I put quite a bit of coriander/cumin/paprika/chili powder...then I add ginger, black pepper and green peppercorn, salt...and vindaloo curry and add little by little, until I think it tastes "right".  You can look up recipes for true samosa seasoning, I just used stuff I knew would taste good :P  I have used this recipe for samosas before and it came out good!  Add your tomato paste and mix together evenly and a little water if you want.  Add your peas and cook everything down until cooked thoroughly.

  I put sour cream on mine, because I wanted to keep the fat content high on our dinner, in whole30 fashion ;P  But a cilantro(coriander) chutney would be just as good, or even in addition to the sour cream!

It's fast, cooked in one pan, and everyone liked it.  I opened the potato into wedges and topped it with the meat and peas...then the sour cream.


Hope you enjoy!  Sorry I didn't measure ingredients!
Bex

No comments:

Post a Comment